Thursday, December 16, 2010

The medicated child

Last night while staying at the station I watched part of a very disturbing documentary on how over diagnosed the kids in our world are truly becoming. I myself was medicated, and I believe that it was a valid diagnoses of ADHD however I do not believe this happens every time. The kids on this show were being diagnosed with bipolar disorder at the age of 4. I'm not a licensed professional, I have not even thoroughly researched the reasons and side effect of this particular disorder but 4 years old, really? The kid IS 4. I believe the same thing has happened with the diagnosing of childhood adhd, a kid walks into his kindergarten class and can not sit still, the teacher immediately points her finger at him and says "you have adhd" actually no he probably doesn't, what is most likely going on... His underwear are too tight, he had a cookie for breakfast, or maybe just maybe HES ONLY 5 YEARS OLD. I fell like these doctors are jumping to conclusions, and the result of these "conclusions" is 5 to 10 year old kids on 5 or 6 different pills to control side effect after side effect. My opinion? Its out of control.

No comments: