Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A day in the life of...

As you know by the title of this blog I work at Safeway as a bag boy. It isn't the easiest of  jobs, pushing carts through an inch and a half of snow in 10 degree weather with the wind blowing, but its a job, one that i am truly thankful for.

A lot of you may not know this but you can learn a great deal of stuff about a person just by simply bagging their groceries. Ill give you one particular situation that I learned from. I was going along my day bagging groceries a lot like my job description describes, when a lady entered the line with one thing, it was a box of tampons. Now when this particular item was swiped and passed down to me to put in the bag this lady, whom I'm sure is a very nice lady on any other week of the month, said "O I don't need a bag", I made the mistake of asking her if she was "sure". She looked at me with a dazed and somewhat confused look on her face as if too say "did you really just ask that question to a women who is buying something like that?" and boy did she let  me have it. In a very annoyed tone she continued to ask me if i was serious, and if i did indeed just ask her if she was "sure", she asked  me if she looked "unsure", and proceeded to tell me that i should probably NEVER ask a lady if she is sure when buying something like this box of tampons.  She wasnt very quiet about it either.

So what is the lesson i learned that day. When a lady walks up with a box of tampons, ask her little to NO questions about how she is doing or how her week might be going just simply put the item in the bag unless told otherwise. And when a lady comes through your line with a box of tampons and 6 candy bars...well I'm no professional but i strongly suggest not even thinking about opening your mouth.

~Yoseph

No comments: